- Your most important resource is the manual for your machinery. Read it, use it and keep it to hand!
- The Health and Safety Executive publish some useful leaflets on machinery hazards. These include:
- Working safely with agricultural machinery – INDG241 (2012)
- Power take offs and power take off drive shafts – AS24 (2013)
- Using tractors safely: A step-by-step guide – INDG185 (2013)
- Farmwise – Your essential guide to health and safety in agriculture – HSG270 (2009)
- There are also HSE agricultural information sheets (AIS) on specific machines such as mowers, ATVs, potato harvesters, combines, hedge cutters, wood chippers, and balers. See also: www.hse.gov.uk/agriculture/topics/machinery.htm
- You can download copies from the HSE website at www.hse.gov.uk. Some publications are also available for purchase by post or telephone from HSE Books, PO Box 1999, Sudbury, Suffolk CO10 6FS Tel 01787 881165.
- See also the Farm Vehicle Health Check Scheme leaflet produced by HSE with the British Agricultural and Garden Machinery Association (BAGMA) available at www.bagma.com.
Last modified: Monday, 27 July 2015, 2:48 PM